Friday, January 3, 2014

Happiness Comes from Sticking to Your Principles

I was browsing the forums at one of my favorite money sites and I ran across this post, which I've been thinking about quite a bit. The ten percent tithing payment in the budget caught my eye. I don't know if he's Mormon or not, but the reader who submitted the post at least has a similar set of values.

The reason that I've been thinking about the post is that several commenters suggested that he reduce or eliminate his tithing payments. A favorite argument of this crowd is that you don't pay while you're young, and then when you're a little older and more financially secure you can give ten percent or even more to the church. God wouldn't want you to put your family in danger or struggle financially because paying tithing is hard, right?

Here's the problem I have with that philosophy: money is just a tool. It's pretty good for buying a blender or something like that. It's excellent for buying time and freedom, but it's garbage at buying self-respect and principles. More money can increase your happiness and satisfaction to a point, but if you compromise your beliefs in order to get there, then you'll lose more than you gain every time.

How many of us still remember stupid things we did wrong from long ago? A test you cheated on, a lie you told, a small item you stole, a friend you betrayed... Those things stay with you.

I will freely admit that I love talking about money and I love the way it works. I hope every dollar I get acts like a polygamist and makes a whole lot more dollars. But I refuse to compromise on things that I believe God has commanded me to do. So if anyone ever asks for my advice with a budget, I will put tithing right at the top, where it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment